Occasionally I get these sudden bouts of ” let’s do something healthy” 🤪 More so when one of your friends share a recipe and declare it supeeeerrrrr healthy… what do you do 🤔 of course you go ahead and give it a try!!!
In this time of viruses and diseases it’s good to be careful and be safe.
So when in one of my WhatsApp group discussion progressed on the benefits of raw turmeric and a recipe I’d turmeric pickle was shared, I couldn’t stop myself from trying it out, and more so cause I had raw turmeric sitting on my kitchen counter😉
Throughout the ages, Turmeric and especially its most active compound curcumin have been known to have scientifically-proven health benefits, such as the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis. It is a widely used spice through the continent of Asia.
The recipe is very easy and believe me when I say, you won’t taste the raw flavor of turmeric👌
- Raw turmeric
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Lemon juice
- A glass jar with a tight lid
(It’s a good idea to wear gloves before you start peeling the turmeric. They can stain your hands really bad 😝)
- Clean all the turmeric. Then you can chop them manually or out them in the chopper.
- Put the chopped pieces into a glass jar and add salt. The amount of salt should be more than double the amount we normally use for our cooking. It’s very important for giving the turmeric that pickely taste😉
- Juice the lemons. And add them on the turmeric and salt. The lemon juice should be enough to cover the whole of the turmeric pieces. They should be totally immersed so as to soak in the lemony goodness and acquire the tangy taste.
- Close the lid and keep the mixture aside for a few hours. And that’s it, we are ready to enjoy our raw turmeric pickle!!!
- The pickle can be served with roti (flatbread), parathas or enjoy it as it is!
- You can safely store the pickle in the refrigerator for a month… But I can assure you it’ll be finished before that🤤😄
Enjoy your raw turmeric pickle! Eat healthy! Stay safe! Stay home!!!